Sunday, December 22, 2013

Quilting..... or my version of it anyway.

As I said before I don't really have a clue what I am doing when it comes to sewing.  But I am taking a stab at it for the sake of my daughter.  It isn't being done as a traditional quilt would be I am quite certain, but it at least resembles a quilt.

I've been trying to get thing done in secret but my children's instance on getting the stomach bug and their willingness to share it with one another has pretty much squashed all hope of getting things done in time.

So.....  with no hope of quilting in secret I chanced it.  Lexi was home with the stomach bug and I sat by her bed and sewed.  A good couple of hours went by without her caring what I was doing.  As time went by I got quite a bit accomplished and then she noticed.  She even knew it was a quilt, which surprised me.  She got interested in what I was doing and began to watch.  She doesn't know what it is for or why I am doing it, so oh well.  She will be happy when she finds out it is for her.  She keeps telling me it's not big enough.  I hope she isn't too disappointed with the fact that it isn't for her bed, but rather Pheebe's.  She has been watching with intrest all weekend long.

I started by cutting squares approximately 2.5"×2.5" and laying out my pattern on the floor.  Then began sewing 2 squares together.  

Once I had each square attached to another I sewed those sections together and so on, until I got this

I got stuck here for a little while.  Until I decided to put the back on as if it were a pillow.  I cut a piece of white cloth and sewed it to the quilt on 3 sides.  Turned the quilt right side out and then tried to figure out the edge.  

The the battle began.  I googled how to "edge a quilt" and founf a very nice YouTube video giving great step by step instructions.  If only I could follow directions.....
I had to rip the same seam out 3 times. Just to get the material for the edge of the quilt long enough. Gahhhhhh!  But I finally got it!  The I had to rip out a couple of seems when I started to attach the batting.  The corners gave me a little troubles, but I figured them out relatively quickly.

Tomorrow, hopefully I can attach the back of the edging and be done with it.  I may have to figure out a way to tack the layers together so the layers don't pull apart.  But for now I am too tired to see straight.  So I gave Pheebe a sneak peak and let her try it out for a brief moment. 

I'm off to get a couple of hours of sleep before daycare arives nice and early.

Nighty night all!

Just 2 more days till Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment